Saturday, December 11, 2010

worth the weight?

How is it that I have went to school for 18 months, got good grades yet now that I am on my externship ( for for the same thing I went to school for)...NOT HAVE A CLUE.

 I guess that is the difference between book learning and actual on the job training. I am just hoping I can pull my head out soon, and feel confident enough to do a good job while I am there. I have only worked a little under ten hours and everyone in the clinic is super nice and helpful but somehow I don't yet feel comfortable putting patients in the room alone yet. So I follow people around all day like an idiot, and try to learn as much as I can.

It is actually very frustrating on my part, because I don't yet feel like I can do it alone, and I want to SO bad. I think it is the kind of thing I am going to have to just "buck up" and do and if I mess it up, then better earlier then later on in the game. Anyone have any liquid self confidence I can borrow? Wait, is that what they call alcohol ? Well that definitely won't work, and it probably wouldn't do me any favors to go and ask the Dr I am working for if he has any xanex samples he could part with either. ha ha! Guess I am on my own.  On the plus side, I run my butt off running in circles all day and not eating anything so I am bound to loose some of my leftover "baby weight".
Wish me luck!~ Love, peace and chicken grease to all of you! :)

3 comments:

Meadowlark said...

You'll do fine, chica. Suck it up and start acting the part. The learnin' will follow.

No. Seriously.

BunnyO said...

Let me just tell you friend...when I did MY externship.. oh Jesus, Mary and Joseph. My FINAL assignment in order to pass was to perform several duties a patient in front of several "instructors". I was brought into a room where it was explained to me that this 84 year old man had a poop infection (not the medical term of course, but that's what he had). He needed to be shaved (the face), bathed and 'cleaned up' in his netherlands. I promise you, there was nothing worse than having all the wind knocked out of your sails on your final day when you realize you're about to wash some old dude's butt and balls in front of a panel of scholarly folks. It was quite mortifying, but worst of all was me trying not to giggle or cut up. As I washed the poo from his goods, he smiled the creepiest most perverted grin. So all I could think to say? "Wow, those are really nice teeth! Are those YOURS?".

I promise you, there is no possible way you will end up a bigger jackass then me! :)

Hey...You! Yes, you with the face, I'm talking to you!! said...

hahahaha! LOVE IT! I had a similar experiance with my CNA clinicals. The elderly gentleman-resembling Herman Munster- wanted my trainer, who happened to be a youngish mexican guy to wash his balls. He just kept on asking and woulden't let up, the trainer ( knowing full well what this gentleman was up to) kept assuring this patient that he was fully capable of doing it himself...

PEOPLE are so funny sometimes. Poor old guy was just trying to get alittle, ever so glad that the trainer gave me an early education on how people can be kinda pervie though and take advantage!! :) Course it WAS extra funny to me is that he didden't want me, a youngish female...hahaha guess I wasen't his cup of tea.