Thursday, January 27, 2011

charity

 A good friend of mine was recently asked to give a talk in church on charity. Which got me thinking about   the charity I have received.

Honestly I prefer to be the giver, so it is hard for me to know what to do when  I am given something that is desperately needed. I have been very fortunate to have  been blessed with several of these occasions. Where I stand there not knowing what to do or say. Just stand, with my mouth gaping like a fish gasping for water. My face betraying a reel of every possible emotion, twice.

Words are just not enough to express the levels of certain feelings. Sometimes all you can do is say "thank you", as anything else just seems inappropriate and ungrateful. It would appear that part of charity is knowing when to be gracious and humble enough to accept it.

One day I hope to be able to repay or pay forward, as it were, the charity's and blessings that my family has been so fortunate to have received over the years.

1 comment:

Meadowlark said...

"It would appear that part of charity is knowing when to be gracious and humble enough to accept it."

And THAT my friend, is the truth.

People love to give as much as you do - it is so wonderful that you let them do so, without it being uncomfortable. We'd all been in various shoes and to be able to share the gifts which we may or may not have today, is a true blessing.